Gold was first discovered at Majors Creek by a Mrs Baxter of “Irish Corner”, now known as Reidsdale, on 5th October 1851 in the vicinity of the small bridge at the foot of Sapling Hill on the Braidwood road.
Following the discovery, the gold rush commenced and soon there were thousands on the field, many of these being Chinese.
The Gold rush continued into the 1860’s when the main flush of gold ran out. Around this time the first reef was found. Some of the reef being worked were: Snobs, Dargues (the owner of the Old Police Station B&B Marshall McCarron's, Great Great Great Grandparents), Stuarts, Oddfellows, Plumbs, Kiefs, Briggs, Wiggins, Snares, Spooners, Rise and Shine, Young Australian and Camages.
Mining continued to be worked by syndicates with the last to be worked being Camages which eventually closed down around 1940. Larger scale gold exploration in the area has just recently been recommenced by Cortona, it is early to tell whether it will bring fruition and renewed prosperity to Majors Creek.
One can still try one's luck with panning; information is available at the Old Police Station B&B.
Reminders of the gold digging days